Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Fun #54 - Bring something to share

I want to know, when someone tells you to bring something to the office pot-luck or to some other get-together, what is your go-to dish?
Do you always bring dessert? Do you always bring appetizers? Do you use it as a chance to try a new recipe on a captive audience? Or do you bring an old stand- by? Do you throw together something easy? Or do you go all out and make the complicated recipe you don't usually have time for?
I know some people who will make dishes they LOVE - because then they are forced to share and not eat it all themselves in the cozy seclusion of their own home. And I know some people who make things they know their co-workers like, but they don't really care for themselves. What do you do? Please to discuss. Share recipes too if you like!

6 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Um, did I mention my mom's chocolate chip cookies before? Yup, they're my go-to dish.

But last time Mr. Kluges had a work potluck, I brought a veggie tray to use up the million cherry tomatoes we had & the lots of CSA veg. All I had to buy special was the dip.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

In regards to the poll, I tend to use my crockpot in streaks. I won't for a few months, then I'll be all like, "Hey! Crockpot! Easy!"

Then I'll run out of recipes and it'll have a hiatus again for a while.

ShoNuff said...

Scones, like cookies but more filling. They also travel easily and don't require a fridge.

Nectarine said...

Spaghetti Corn is our go-to for the office. It is easy, cheap, and done by lunch which is GREAT!! People always ask what it is but love it when they try it. I also love that it is a hot item as most tend to bring things that are cold.

Allknowingjen said...

Nectarine- it was your comments on the Spaghetti corn dish that made me think of the pot-luck question :)

I like to bring bars. (is my midwestern showing?) They are pretty easy and if it's not too fancy I can bring them in the pan I baked them in. This time of the year I like pumpkin chocolate chip ones. (if the recipe isn't here already I will post it.) Or 7 layer bars, or lemon bars, or s'more bars. Hmmm... I may have to make some now even though I don't have a potluck to attend.

DiploWhat said...

I'd love to hear about the pumpkin choc chip bars- though finding both items (at least the pumpkin in can form) may require a mailing from the MIL.

I usually bring "mexi wraps". A flour torilla/cream cheese/salsa etc kind of wrap. I little troublesome, but always a hit.