Friday, October 24, 2008

Braised Red Cabbage with Onions and Apples in Red Wine - Cranberry Sauce

If you're going to make cabbage, this isn't a bad way to do it. It's very, very red. Granted, the name's about as long as the entire list of ingredients, but hey, what're'ya gonna do? It's from Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon. (Ok, so I looked up about the name & here's the scoop.)

1 1/2 tsp. butter
1 to 2 tart apples, such as Winesaps, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used Macintosh 'cuz that's what we had.)
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbl. plus 1 tsp. [so, 4 tsp.] brown sugar
1/2 head red cabbage (about 1 lb), trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. any good vegetable stock
1/2 c. dry red wine, such as a northern Rhone
1 Tbl. plus 1 tsp. [again, 4 tsp.] unbleached white all-purpose flour
2 to 3 Tbl. jellied cranberry sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the apples, onion, and brown sugar and saute until the onions are fairly limp, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and saute for another 5 minutes.

Add the vinegar and then 1/2 c. of the stock. Bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender but still has a bit of crispness, 25 to 30 minutes. [I think I did a bit less.]

Uncover and add the wine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.

In a small bowl, whisk the cranberry sauce and flour into the remaining 1/4 c. stock. [Or, you know, the measuring cup you were using anyway.] When the liquid is boiling, stir in the flour-stock mixture. Lower the heat slightly, and simmer, stirring often, for another 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

6 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

I am not much of a cabbage eater, but this recipe actually makes it sound good!
Also, thanks for the link explaining the name- you read my mind! ;)

KamaLee said...

Dear Herself, aka Ms. Huis... thanks for using my recipe! Having put a lot of years into writing that book, I LOVE seeing it used, and especially appreciate it when folks credit the recipe, as you did (and even answered the eternal name question for me... thanks).

Now you may wonder how I found my way to Recipeeps. I have one of those Google Alerts things so anytime someone mentions either my name or "cornbread" an email pops into my box with a link. This has led me into some fun places, one of them being here, because I could certainly be a strong contender for poster child of "friends don't let friends eat crap." Amen, sister!

Anyway, you may ask why a (theoretically) sane person would set up an alert not just on her name but around cornbread. Well, my more recent book is THE CORNBREAD GOSPELS. Mmy publisher has been very good about sending "review copies" to bloggers of demonstrable cornbread-interest if I ask nicely. Well, I figure your dragonwagon-interest qualifies you! Would you like one? If so, e me your snailmail address, and I'll have them get one right off to you.

Warmly,

Crescent Dragonwagon

cragonwagonATgmailDOTcom

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Ok, is that not cool or what?! A cookbook author visiting our li'l ol' Recipeeps?!

Of course I said, "Yes, please!" I'll let y'all know when it comes and more about the recipes in it.

(And I guess I'm now done with my "winning things on the internet" streak between the CD and ornament kit from CMP and a cookbook here, but hey, good things come in threes! Woo-hoo!)

Allknowingjen said...

Mmm! Cornbread! Can't wait to see some of those recipes!

Anonymous said...

she has a great soup cookbook also
TN GR ANt

Nectarine said...

Way cool!! I just made the pot pie from Oprah yesterday. It had cornbread as the topping. It was on her show on Friday. What to do with 2 roasted chickens.