This is a dish from the way-back, when Kim and I used to take any excuse to throw a (often-themed) party...and these mushrooms usually made an appearance...with the oft-repeated warning that they're heck-a hot right out of the oven and to WAIT so you don't burn your poor mouth. Posted now by request from All-Knowing Jen!
1 1/2 lbs medium mushrooms (about 30)
1/2 lb. pork sausage
1/4 c. seasoned bread crumbs [or plain and season as desired]
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese [or mix of moz&parm or other Italian blend]
parsley for garnish [and/or in stuffing mix]
1. Remove stems from mushrooms; chop stems. Set both aside.
2. In [good-sized] skilled over medium heat, cook sausage until well-browned. With slotted spoon remove sausage to paper towels to drain. Spoon excess drippings from skillet.
3. In hot drippings, [or added butter, if needed], over medium heat, cook chopped mushroom stems until tender, about 10 min., stirring frequently. Remove skillet from heat; stir in cooked sausage, cheese, and bread crumbs.
4. Preheat oven to 450F. Fill mushroom caps with sausage mixture. Place stuffed mushrooms in [suitably-sized] jello-roll pan [or 9x13 glass dish or cookie sheet with sides].
5. Bake about 15 min. [LET COOL FOR A FEW MINUTES OR YOU'LL BURN YOUR MOUTH!!!]
Fun, Snacky Lunches for Grown-ups
3 months ago