This is one of those Chef Jeff recipes from his awesome classes. It was one of the first ones I ever took & YUM!
(makes 14-30 depending on how full you make them)
1 lb. ground pork (or half ground pork and half chopped cooked shrimp)
3 c shredded cabbage + 1/2 c. shredded celery + 1/4 c. shredded carrot OR....
2 - 1 lb pks Dole classic coleslaw bags
4-5 med dried black mushrooms [or 1 pkg. dried stir fry mushrooms]
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp white [or black or none] pepper
2 Tbl. green onion, finely sliced
1 tsp five spice powder
1 egg, beaten [I often don't bother & just use a small bowl of water]
14-30 egg roll skins
2 c (or so!) vegetable oil for frying
1. Soak dried mushrooms in very hot water until soft; drain. Squeeze out excess moisture. Remove and discard stem [if very tough]. Cut into thin strips [or small pieces] and set aside.
2. In mixing bowl, combine pork with cornstarch, soy sauce, and white pepper; mix well and refrigerate for 20 min.
3. Fill a [very] large sauce pan/pot with water and bring to a boil. Add cabbage/celery/carrots (OR both bags coleslaw mix). Bring to second boil for about 30 seconds, then drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again, squeezing mixture thoroughly to remove any excess water.
4. Heat wok [or large pan] over high heat; add 1 Tbl. oil, then tilt to coat sides.
5. Add pork and stir fry 2 [to 5] min until no longer pink. Add mushrooms and stir fry 1 min. Stir in cabbage mixture along with shrimp [if using], green onions, five spice powder, and salt. Mix well; remove from heat and refrigerate. [If you don't want to deal with a huge pan, you can cook the pork & etc. then mix into the cabbage mixture in a large bowl.]
6. Lay out the egg roll skins and separate mixture evenly amongst them. [Or do one at a time and deal with it if you end up with extra egg roll skins.]. Roll the egg rolls according to package instructions, substituting beaten egg [or just water] for paste to seal. Cover egg rolls with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out.
7. Heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a wok [or large, deep pan] to 350F.
8. Carefully place up to 4 egg rolls in the oil at a time and fry, turning 2-3 times until golden brown; remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
9. Serve immediately with hot mustard and/or sweet and sour sauce if desired.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
One 6-oz. can pineapple juice
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbl. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. cornstarch
In a small saucepan, combine 2 Tbl. pineapple juice with cornstarch and mix until smooth.
Add remaining pineapple juice, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar. Bring to boil and allow to simmer for 30 seconds or so; remove from heat, cover and set aside.
Hot Mustard Sauce
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
2 Tbl. honey
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
Combine all and mix well.
Shauna Sever's Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle
5 weeks ago