Sunday, October 7, 2007

Stuffed Pork Chops

I got this recipe from my mom. It's classic Midwestern comfort food, cream of mushroom soup and all. It was originally for the oven, but I just did it this week in the slow cooker and it turned out well, so I'll include both cooking instructions.

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. milk
1 c. hot water
2 Tbl. butter or margarine
2 c. Stovetop stuffing
1/2 small red pepper, minced [opt, but adds nice color]
4 pork chops, 1-inch thick [I've done both bone-in and boneless, and 3 or 4.]

Mix soup and milk in 9"x13" pan (or slow cooker) and set aside. Put water and butter in a bowl; stir to partially melt butter. Add stuffing and red pepper; stir gently until water is absorbed. Cut a slit in each chop from outer edge to bone. [For boneless, cut almost all the way through.] Spoon stuffing into chops. Place in pan (or slow cooker). [I like to put them so the open ends all face together, and then glop all the extra stuffing that didn't fit into the cops in the middle.] Spoon soup mixture over chops. Bake at 375F for 1 hour. For the slow cooker, I did 4 1/2 hours on high, then it sat at "keep warm" for about an hour and that was done nicely.

No comments: