Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wednesday Fun #64 - Last Year's Learnings

First of all, sorry about missing last week, folks. It was Christmas Eve, we were away from home, I figured you'd all be busy, too... yadda, yadda, yadda. But hey, Wednesday Fun is back today, the last day of 2008!

My question for you this week, on the very last day of 2008, is what changed in your cooking during the past year? What did you learn? Did you make something for the very first time? (Fried green tomatoes for me. They were... eh.) Did a change of location (Hi, Diplowhat!) or diet or medical stuff overhaul your menu? What's different now in your cooking than it was at the beginning of 2008?


For me it was joining a CSA. Instead of being a "this is the recipe, I'll shop for the ingredients, ok, let's go" sort of cook (with some ability to substitute, etc.), I had to become a "hmmm, I've got carrots, tomatoes, a teeny bit of cauliflower... what can I do with this?" sort of chef. Granted, now that I'm NOT getting a CSA box weekly, I really do need to do a little more menu planning, but with the girls not liking things mixed together (casserole, soup, mac&cheese, etc.), it's gotten pretty basic Midwestern around here.

How about you?

2 comments:

Pusher said...

I'm slowly becoming more experimental in my cooking, but so slowly that I suspect I'm the only one who has noticed. :-)

I made borscht for the first time, thanks to Ms. Huis Herself! See, my mom hates beets, so I never had them growing up, so I had never cooked with them. Then we went out to visit the Kluges/Huis household, and Ms. Huis served us these tiny, beautiful, roasted baby beets. And they were yummy! So I bought beets at the grocery store on a whim and then turned them into borscht, and now I have a whole new vegetable I feel comfortable cooking with, even if they do make my kitchen sink look like the location of a horrific murder.

Syl said...

Beets taste like dirt.

Anyway, we gave in to convenience cooking in 2008 and I am having a hard time figuring out how to change it. The children are starving when they come home and they are SO picky. If I cook something for real, they're so unbearable.

So maybe a change in 2009 to a snack and then a real meal? Dunno. It could take some planning.