Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wednesday Fun #61 - The Non-Chef's Menu

This weekend, my folks were here, and my dad made shaped pancakes with Pumpkin for Sunday brunch. It's one of his specialties. I can't have pancakes or cheeseburger hamburger helper (with peas added) or ring bologna (to be served with mac & cheese) without thinking about my dad, 'cuz those were some of his standard dishes. Well, those and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I got to thinking. I bet in a lot of two-adult households, one person does the majority of the cooking. And the other person might have a few standard dishes they make. What's your experience? What are some meals/food you remember your non-main-cooking parent making? Or, if you're in a two-person household, what does the non-chef make at your house now?

5 comments:

Syl said...

The cook at my house is whoever is not incredibly crabby and can get their butt in gear and get something on the table for 2 screaming kids.

Nectarine said...

I am the main cook but when husband is left with the kids there is only one choice. He found this out when asking, what should we eat tonight kids, (mom is gone). Ice Cream (the 7 year old said), "Well Dad, you only know how to make mac n cheese." Which Husband said, "Mac N Cheese it is then."

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Nectarine - I can totally hear that happening in my head, especially your hubby saying, "Mac N Cheese it is then!" Too funny!

ShoNuff said...

My dad tended to cook less (I'm making the the wild bet that is more common...) and had two that I remember. One was a spinach egg casserole thing that had bread crumbs... I don't think there was a real recipe. The other is one he got from his Romanian grandmother. She called it chicken Goulash he called it chicken paprikash and it's a fabulous chicken and potato stew with lots of Paprika. Pusher will back me on the quality of this one.

Pusher said...

Consider yourself backed, Puck.

My dad doesn't cook. My memories with my dad and food involve him giving advice on how to eat it — usually by adding horseradish sauce or dipping it in vinegar, or taking a bite of about three things at once and washing it down with a big swig of milk.