You might be a devotee of the classic jack-o-lantern face with its triangle eyes & nose & simple mouth with a couple of teeth. Or maybe a simple variation on that theme.
Maybe you are keen on making a set of pumpkins in a theme or using props to create a scene with pumpkins.
- The KISS Army
- How about some Wizard of Oz? (More links to his stuff below.)
- Fire-breathing pumpkin dragon
Using well-known art as inspiration?
- The Scream by Jason Green
- American Gothic, anyone?
- Of course, Mona Lisa's smile's a little creepy anyway.
How about designing a pumpkin based on the light inside of it?
- The Sunburst by David LaRochelle via This Old House
- Jack O'Lantern Hell by Plutor/Logan Ingalls on Flickr
Or you get out the wood-carving tools and go for the three-dimensional approach. (Man, are some of these impressive!)
- Zipperface by Ray Villafane, via This Old House (Yes, really.)
- Scott Cummings, PumpkinGutter.com - Wow. Just wow. He's got dinosaurs, Einstein, an evil rabbit, Wallace and Grommit and a Davy Jones you have to see to believe! Amazing stuff here!
Whatever sort of pumpkin art you enjoy (or toward which you aspire), I hope you enjoy seeing and/or carving some this October! If you've got links to some great pumpkin art, leave them in the comments because we'd love to see them!
Addendum: Want to make your pumpkin last? Check out this science experiment where 5 methods of pumpkin preservation (plus a control pumpkin) are put to the test!