Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wednesday Fun #82 - Tasting 1,000 Fruits

I don't know if any of you read Maggie over at Mighty Girl, but she's got a life list of things she'd like to accomplish. One of them is to taste 1,000 fruits. She writes about some of them here.

It got me thinking... how many fruits have I tasted already in my lifetime? I mean, you've got some basics like apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, and peaches. And don't forget about grapefruit, lemons, limes, apricots, pineapple, cherries, and strawberries. Speaking of berries, you've also got raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, gooseberries... And what about rhubarb? That's not really a fruit, now, is it. So, never mind that one...

So, I don't know about tasting 1,000 fruits, but I'm wondering how many we can name? Wanna list away in the comments? (I'll stop now so I don't use up all the easy ones! ;) )

(Hmmm... I forsee a later WF where we use that (compiled) list to count how many of the fruits on it we have each tried!)

P.S. If you've had the opportunity to travel and sample some unusual fruits not necessarily found (or easily found) in the US, please, list away - we'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Big Daddy, Esq. said...

Great topic! I tried a few unusual fruits recently while visiting my aunt in Mexico -- maracuyá, a variety of passion fruit; cherimoya; and mamey. I posted photos and comments on my Facebook account. Here's a link to the album the photos are in. You'll be forced to look through all the photos of my trip to find them. ;-)

Of the three, the mamey was my favorite. It tastes like pumpkin pie in fruit form! :) The cherimoya is sort of milky sweet. The maracuyá (or "snot fruit" as I called it, for reasons that will be obvious when you see the photo) is like eating sweet, seedy mucous. Once you get past the texture, it's yummy.

So...on to some naming of fruits...watermelon, canteloupe, star fruit, persimmon, papaya, mango, kiwi, honeydew, kumquat, (yest I'm taking a mental stroll through the Lunds produce section), UGLI, pummelo, tangerine, apricot, pomegranate...um, I'll stop there. :)