Monday, April 7, 2008

Can you fix this recipe?

I got this recipe from a blog at work-it mom. I tried it out- but it was pretty bland - I really think it needs something else, but I don't know what. Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe I just need a better curry powder? I think it could be a great easy crock pot recipe with a little tweaking.

Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Coconut Rice

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, cut up
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2/3 cup orange juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
3 tsp curry powder
1 clove garlic, minced

Put the chicken, onion & sweet potatoes in the crock pot. (dice the potatoes to a medium size, you want them to cook, but not to get too mushy). Mix orange juice, garlic and spices together, pour over the top of everything in the crock pot. Put the lid on your crock pot, set it to low and let it cook 5-6 hours.

Coconut rice
Use coconut milk to replace 1/2 to 3/4 of the water you use to boil rice. (i.e. 2 cups of rice, 1 cup water, 1 cup coconut milk). You can use the "lite" but the full fat milk will give you more flavor. Works best with Jasmine or Basmati.

3 comments:

ShoNuff said...

I'd add a couple more cloves of garlic (even more if making it for my wife), double the salt (it brings out the other flavors more), and add more spices (cumin, paprika, and chili powder would be my first leap or you could go fresher with dill, marjoram, sage, oregano, etc.).

Pusher said...

Yeah, Puck and I would both up the seasonings (though I'd go with ginger for a "brighter" taste instead of the dill, etc.). But I do think this is set up to be a fairly mild dish. My other suggestion would be to brown the chicken before you put it in the crock pot to give it a little more depth of flavor.

Also, slow cooking seems to kill the individual notes of spices. Maybe I'd try starting with the spices as a rub on the chicken; brown it that way, cook in the crock pot, then give it a fresh mini-round of seasoning before serving to get some of that individuality back.

Curry powder does seem to have a very short shelf life as far as potency.

DiploWhat said...

1. you could add some of the coconut milk to the OJ to give it a creamier flavor (ala Thai food).

2. If you really want a curry flavor I would add in 2t of cumin. 1/4 t ground cardamom (optional) and 1 t ground corriander (you could use corriander seed but make sure you pick them out). Avoid dill.