Monday, February 4, 2008

Because it's not all fabulous successes...

I just felt the need to vent to my Recipeeples. Ever have one of those days where nothing goes right in the kitchen because you're either not paying attention or just having a stupid day?

Tonight I thawed some frozen pumpkin puree to make this year's very last pie. It seemed a bit off, but I'd already blended the eggs and cream by that point, so I figured I had little to lose. Sure enough, the puree texture had gone grainy, and I don't have very high hopes for the pie.

Then I made a butternut squash curry for lunches for the week. The recipe called for one medium squash, about 4 lbs. (Where do these people get their squash?!? That's a big butternut in my world!) So I halved the recipe. Except then peeling and chopping up the squash and potatoes took so long that I forgot I was halving the recipe and put the full amount of liquid in. And then realized I didn't actually have curry powder, so I had to make my own version up (coriander, cumin, turmeric, chili pepper, garlic, ginger? uh...damn).

And I scratched under my eye after dicing a jalepeno.

4 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Oh heck! I HATE those kind of days. Sorry to hear about all those kitchen disappointments, especially with the LAST pumpkin pie puree. Darn!

(Here's hoping today goes a bit better for you!)

Allknowingjen said...

I so know what you mean! (especially that last one where you meant to halve the recipe- that happens to me all the time, I forget that I am halving or doubling). Then there was the time Bullinger and I made choc. chip cookies and completely left out the butter. Bad, very bad.

I hope your pie was salvaged at least. Maybe whipped cream can do wonders?

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Hmmm... might this be catching? Or a mild form anyway? 'Cuz I hard-boiled some eggs this morning when Penguin decided morning happens at 5:45 instead of her usual 7:30... Anyway, I went to get one out for Pumpkin at lunch... (you see where this is going, right?)... yeah, grabbed one from the WRONG carton!

*crumbly crunch* "Huh?! What's oozing out of... OH MY GOD IT'S A _RAW_ EGG! Crap, crap crap!"

Yeah, that was me.

Happy Veggie said...

When I'm tired, I cut myself. The first time I did it really bad, I did it while cutting green chilis.
I also have been known to start stuff before checking to make sure I have ingredients. Bad when someone who hasn't been drinking milk for weeks decides to finish off the stuff I was going use in gravy.