Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday Fun #12 - Holiday Food Gifts

When I was teaching, it wasn't uncommon for me to get one or two food gifts any given Christmas, oh, I mean "winter holiday time." Sometimes a gift certificate for a restaurant or kitchen store, but more often homemade caramels, fancy cookies, layered-in-a-jar cookie mix, or other homemade goodies. (Once I even got a bottle of wine, but it was from some English transplants who didn't get the "no alcohol in school" deal. I didn't mind at all!)

Have you ever gotten or given a homemade food gift? What was it? If you've gotten/given several, was there a standout one that you especially loved?

4 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

The two I've gotten that I most remember were chocolate dipped shortbread cookies and some kind of mini bunt cake thing that I wish I had the recipe for- it was super yummy.

I always think the homemade food gifts are a good idea and I've got some good recipes even, (Hey! I should post them!) But then I run out of time or talk myself out of them. Also, I don't have a lot of people that I exchange that kind of "thank you"/ hostess-y kind of gift with. You know? It's either too much for someone I don't usually exchange with, or it's not enough for a "real" gift. Does that even make sense? I probably over think it.

ShoNuff said...

I tend to give food to all the aunts/uncles...etc that I don't see that often and have no idea what they would want. Treats are good for everyone! I've done fudge (from the Sexy Blonde's recipe) and the last few years I've done chocolate dipped dried apricots...they've gone over quite well. Of course both sides of my family don't go to crazy for x-mas and Pusher's does nothing except for the kids (at least that's the theory but they are at least very controlled.)

Happy Veggie said...

Previous boss made cookies every year, got a good collection from her. I love things that have been made, as I like to make things. This eyar we're giving daycare teachers *bucks gift cards and cookies for the larger group.

Syl said...

I'm in AKJ's boat - I want to, but I always talk myself out of it because I feel like it's not a "real" gift. Or I want it to be something really different, so I never can find the right thing.