Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wednesday Fun #78 - Banned Brewing and Lawless Lagers!

I was reading over at Accidental Hedonist the other day, and they mentioned that home brewing has just become legal in Utah! Now, I don't know about you, but I'd've figured on Utah being the last state in the union to legalize home brewing, but it's not! In fact, there are FOUR states in which it's still illegal to brew your own beer.

Can you guess which ones they are?



(I'll post the answer in the comments next Wednesday, but if you can't wait, take a look at this article on RealBeer.com, which was the source to which Accidental Hedonist linked.)

4 comments:

Pusher said...

Wow. Yeah, I would have pegged Utah as the last too. It's a weird one, because a lot of the states I would naturally think of have a longstanding tradition of backyard hooch.

I'll say Georgia, because I know they have some weird liquor laws. (Not that MN doesn't, with its grocery store nonsense.) Then, um, Mississippi, Florida and Ohio for no real reason at all. Now I'm off to check the link and see if I got any of them.

Allknowingjen said...

Well good for Utah! :) I didn't know it was illegal anywhere, but I guess I am not surprised.
I guess Oregon (they don't let you pump your own gas there, maybe they feel the same way about beer?) some logic for New Jersey, then I guess Alabama & Idaho. For no real reason.

Syl said...

I'm going to go with Idaho, New Mexico, Missouri, and Vermont. No rhyme or reason, just random.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Oh, right! Answer!

Points to Pusher for guessing Mississippi and to AKJ for Alabama. The other two states in which homebrewing is still illegal are Kentucky and Oklahoma. Thanks for playing!