Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Italian-Style Monchong Fish

I've got a favorite guy at my local Festival Foods.  He used to be at the deli counter, but got a promotion to the meats/fish counter (maybe even asst manger?).  Anyway, I trust him.  He's recommended enough stuff to me that I like that I'm willing to take a risk on him.  (Except the pumpkin pie bread pudding, but that's a texture thing for me.)  He says it's good; I'll give it a try. Not that it's all one-sided - I've given him both the Chicken Saltimboca recipe (for which he said his wife both thanked and cursed me :) ) and the rib/beer can chicken rub

So, when I was in this week, I asked him if he had any new good recipes for me.  Here's what he gave me... along w 12 oz. of monchong when I said I wanted to give it a go.  You guys - it's SO good!  Penguin was all, it's ok, but not my favorite, but the other 3 of us were NOMNOMNOM! My guy gave me our approximately 12 oz as one slab, but I chopped into 4 pieces without issue.

Monchong Italian-Style
http://mantestedrecipes.com/recipe/1435/monchong-italian-style.aspx
Recipe by: DefenseEngineer
Monchong, which is generally sold pre-cut into thinnish fillets, lends itself to quick cooking, pan-frying in less than 5 minutes. The flesh remains moist and has a mild flavor acceptable even to those who don't love fish.
  Ready in 20 mins

Ingredients

Serves: 4
  • 4 (3-ounce) fillets Monchong
  • Flour, salt and pepper for dredging fish
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons capers (optional)- my vote - NECESSARY! Yay for saltiness!
  • 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise - we had oven-dried, frozen-in-oil cherry tomatoes & they were yum in this, but in the summer I would try fresh.
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh basil - I had a bit of leftover fresh basil from Mr. Kluges's supper last Sunday, augmented by some frozen-in-oil from our garden last year.
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (Have I mentioned our fav balsamic/oil place lately?)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (Because THEY ARE AWESOME!)

Preparation method

Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins

2 comments:

Pusher said...

I had to look up monchong. Apparently a fish common to Hawaii? Hello, VRBO vacation food! Thanks for the recipe!

rsgoldget said...


Once we accomplish something ,we must possess the factors.In addition there are a number of exactly why we all enjoy runescape online games. Various players have got distinct causes. I have discovered many major causes here. About the regular Runescape servers there are so many participants with maxed abilities that creating it for the hiscores just isn't possible when you have an existence outside of Runescape.

Runescape 2007 Gold

Buy Runescape 2007 Gold