Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Italian-Style Monchong Fish

I've got a favorite guy at my local Festival Foods.  He used to be at the deli counter, but got a promotion to the meats/fish counter (maybe even asst manger?).  Anyway, I trust him.  He's recommended enough stuff to me that I like that I'm willing to take a risk on him.  (Except the pumpkin pie bread pudding, but that's a texture thing for me.)  He says it's good; I'll give it a try. Not that it's all one-sided - I've given him both the Chicken Saltimboca recipe (for which he said his wife both thanked and cursed me :) ) and the rib/beer can chicken rub

So, when I was in this week, I asked him if he had any new good recipes for me.  Here's what he gave me... along w 12 oz. of monchong when I said I wanted to give it a go.  You guys - it's SO good!  Penguin was all, it's ok, but not my favorite, but the other 3 of us were NOMNOMNOM! My guy gave me our approximately 12 oz as one slab, but I chopped into 4 pieces without issue.

Monchong Italian-Style
http://mantestedrecipes.com/recipe/1435/monchong-italian-style.aspx
Recipe by: DefenseEngineer
Monchong, which is generally sold pre-cut into thinnish fillets, lends itself to quick cooking, pan-frying in less than 5 minutes. The flesh remains moist and has a mild flavor acceptable even to those who don't love fish.
  Ready in 20 mins

Ingredients

Serves: 4
  • 4 (3-ounce) fillets Monchong
  • Flour, salt and pepper for dredging fish
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons capers (optional)- my vote - NECESSARY! Yay for saltiness!
  • 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise - we had oven-dried, frozen-in-oil cherry tomatoes & they were yum in this, but in the summer I would try fresh.
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh basil - I had a bit of leftover fresh basil from Mr. Kluges's supper last Sunday, augmented by some frozen-in-oil from our garden last year.
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (Have I mentioned our fav balsamic/oil place lately?)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (Because THEY ARE AWESOME!)

Preparation method

Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins

1 comment:

Pusher said...

I had to look up monchong. Apparently a fish common to Hawaii? Hello, VRBO vacation food! Thanks for the recipe!